Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sumo in a Speedo, Asian Shrek, and Cell Phone Snatch


This post is long overdue, suck it up lol. After visiting Singapore "mainland" back in May we decided to hop over to Sentosa island for a few days and be kids! We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel (okay, when I say "to be kids" I meant kids that drink ;)

We had the "Sting/Police" room

Fun place to stay! Tacky but cool room, expensive but strong drinks, huge pool and lots of sun. 
Swim up bar..... 
 Ahhhh the swim up bar, my friend, along with a fake beach with man-made sand that is made from the same stuff they melt down and inject in Joan River's lips.....

Fake beach at the Hard Rock Hotel Sentosa Island

Okay there were some odd things observed by the pool that I am going to need to share with you, naturally. One is the use of the water wing "headdress"... seconds as a hat, also a padded toilet seat, and airplane pillow. Comes in 2 sizes, she's wearing the small one....

...and he's wearing the big one. You can't see it from this view (wedgy...) but he's eager to try it's floating powers! Personally I find nothing more attractive than a sumo wrestler in a speedo...but maybe that's a reflection of the time we've spent here...

Next interesting observation is the food. Like I can post a new article without talking about food! We had a couple drinks one night (one night, HA HA HA HA HA HA...I mean, this particular night), and the next morning thought we'd order breakfast at a little shop close by called the "Toast Box". Sounds great for breakfast right? Just take a moment to review the menu. Clearly I went for the Fish Ball "Hor Fun" soup, while Mairianne opted for the Nasi Lemak which consists of rice cooked in coconut cream, shrimp paste, hot chili's and sardines with an egg on top. 
MMMMMMMMM heaven to our lips....heaven.....and if you like butter this is the place for you, they'll even add sugar to it for you. Why have toast when you can have it buttered with sugar..
I think what we actually ordered rhymes with "peanut butter" and "singapore sling". Anyhoooo.....

Now that we have had some fantastic breaky, time to bring the little kids out in us....Universal Studios! We were sooo excited about this (which in retrospect, wish we had maybe re-calibrated our expectations before going)...but heh, it's Universal Studios! Well, kinda...
KUNG FOO PANDA!!!! Yeahh!!!!!! When we walked in and saw him we were reminded of watching our "downloaded" version of Kung Foo Panda with Swedish subtitles while enjoying time with our friend Betty from Jamaica. In case you wondered, the word 'attack' is 'anfall' in swedish. Ahhhhhh good times.....
Mairianne ready to explore!!!!

Definitely did not think we had been transported to Florida, but did feel a sense of "home" because of all the fun characters we all know and love from Universal:)

I got to practice my Emmy speech...no really I did..about 5 minutes worth. The guy at the booth was clearly disappointed when I didn't buy one. I told him I had to earn it...
We found the "new" transformer ride, was definitely our favourite of the day. Thought I'd slip Mairianne some tongue on the ride...

Drinks + Heat + Asia + 35 year olds (I stopped aging at 35, can't help it must be in my genes) anyways, = becoming a 5 year old!!!!! I swear the more I rubbed my head back and forth the more the monkey smiled.....
Mairianne is demonstrating how Asians great each other.
 Time to go faw faw away....

...where we became Queen's! (Now we know how Paul feels). Being two of the few "whities" around we were stared at as if we were part of Universal, so why not stand out more by putting on silly hats and acting goofy lol.


 After that is was time to see how our inner ears were holding up with age by hopping on the Battlestar Galactic coaster (ummm side note, BSG is one of our guilty pleasure shows that we saw every single episode of....ahhh that actually just made me tear up..it's over, it's really over...

They had a big WaterWorld exhibit and show that we joined which cooled us off sitting in the front row. So this is where all the old American stunt people go.....
















Since we were in the 'water wing' of the park we headed over to a 'Jurassic Park' ride. I thought the ride started while we were in line. I swore I was smelling Dino Poop. It was toxic. It was so bad Mairianne didn't even blame me. It was actually coming from the little girl in front of us. She kept staring back at me to see if "I noticed". So I asked her "did you go poopoo in your pants? You had a little poop didn't you?"She never turned back again. Scenes like this really support the thought that I wasn't meant to be a parent.

When we were on Singapore "mainland" a couple days earlier we met a really nice guy who helped us with directions. We found out he is one of the star acrobats of a "cirque de soleil" kind of show on Sentosa island. So we made sure to see the show after our day at Universal, and afterwards he came and hung out with us. Totally nice guy, AMAZING gymnast, and well we play on the same team so HUGS!

Next day, time to go home to KL. This is a view from Sentosa island towards the mainland of Singapore...as you can see it's very close!



At the airport and the fun doesn't stop! While waiting for our flight, we went to an internet kiosk so Mairianne could check her work email. In so doing she must have left her cell phone at the station. Well it got picked up by one of the cleaning staff, as witness by a woman in a red and black dress who was kind enough to tell us. The cleaner disappeared from sight, so we had to call the airport police and see them in action. I've included a video below. They found the cleaning woman but she was so worried about getting in trouble she wouldn't say anything. Turns out she picked up the phone and brought it to the lost and found desk. Cell phone successfully retrieved. 

Love how everyone crashes the second they're on the plane. We had the very front seat and my knees were basically touching the wall, which the stewardess found very funny
 













This is Christine in KL saying "Selamat Jalan" until next time.






2 comments:

  1. Great to see you are enjoying your time. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pete! I'll be posting a few more trips we took soon...been hard finding the time. Hope a visit to us is on your list of to do's this next year!

    ReplyDelete